Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
The Edgewood Public Library was established in 1933 by the Edgewood Women's Club. It began as an all-volunteer effort.

By 1951 circulation had grown to 2,389, and the need of a new location was identified. In 1954 the library was relocated in a new building on the second floor of the fire station.

As the years passed, the library continued to grow. In 1978 the State Library architect reviewed the library facility and potential renovation.  The recommendation was that there was not enough space to expand to meet guidelines for a community of Edgewood's size. Not only had the library outgrown its physical facility, but also it was not handicapped accessible. In 1985 the trustees were required to send a plan of action to the State Library to describe how the Edgewood Public Library planned to resolve the inaccessibility of the facility.

In 1986 the local "Think Tank" identified a new library and meeting room as a need for the community. The trustees continued to attend workshops on buildings/grants, and the mayor appointed a committee to explore options and sites for a new building which would include the library, a meeting room, and the city office. The mayor and city council also approved fund raising for the building and established the Edgewood Library Building Fund under the Greater Delaware County Community Foundation, an organization that had IRS tax exemption status.

In 1987 the city council purchased a lot near the city park for the new facility and hired an architect to prepare preliminary plans for the building. After several years of fund raising, groundbreaking for the new building took place in 1991.

The new facility was completed and the library's contents were moved in 1992. An open house for the new facility was held in April of 1993.

The present facility includes the public library, the city clerk's office, a meeting room, and public restrooms.  The library has
progressed from a volunteer organization with donated books to a full service asset to the community.